Nolan Getaways – 1993

Travel by Lewis and Betty Nolan



Dec, 29, 1992-Jan. 2, 2003: New Orleans &

May 29: Old Waverly, West Point, MS

                                             Gulf Shores, AL

May 31-June 1: Cleveland, TN

Jan. 18-21: Washington, DC

Jun. 8-10: Washington, DC

Feb. 1: Nashville

Jun. 12-22: Hawaii

Feb. 2: Washington, DC

Jun. 25: New York City

Feb. 12-13: Nashville

Jun. 30-Jul. 1: Gulf Shores, AL

Feb. 17-20: Starkville & West Point, MS

Jul. 2-11: Gulf Shores, AL

Mar. 1-3: Nashville

Jul. 24: Old Waverly, West Point, MS

Mar. 4-7: Tucson, AZ

Jul. 26-27: Liberty Corner & Madison, NJ

Mar. 21: Old Waverly, West Point

Aug. 1: Old Waverly, West Point, MS

Mar. 25-26: Washington, DC

Aug. 5-8: Lacrosse, WI

Apr. 6-11: Gulf Shores, AL

Aug. 26-29: Charlottesville, VA

Apr. 12-13: Madison & Liberty Corner, NJ

Aug. 30-31: Cleveland, TN

Apr. 16-19: Atlanta

Sep. 25-26: Hot Springs, AR

Apr. 20-21: Madison & Liberty Corner, NJ

Sep. 30-Oct. 1: Madison & Liberty Corner, NJ

Apr. 22-23: Cleveland, TN

Oct. 30-Nov. 1: Charlottesville, VA

Apr. 23-25: Austin, TX

Nov. 2-4: Starkville, MS

Apr. 25-29: Madison & Liberty Corner, NJ

Nov. 11-12: Nashville

May 3-4: Kenilworth & Liberty Corner, NJ

Dec. 11-12: New York City

May 18: Old Waverly, West Point, MS

Dec. 23-30: Gulf Shores, AL


(Page Updated Sept. 2, 2008)


Continue With Getaways-2004  /  Continue With Nolan Travels Home Page


To New Orleans to See Anne Rice Home, Play Golf


Dec. 29, 1992-Jan. 2, 1993 – To New Orleans and Gulf Shores, AL


I drove to New Orleans from our condo at Gulf Shores, AL with Betty and our son, Casey, who had spent Christmas on the beach with us. We enjoyed a great lunch at the Commanders Palace restaurant that included seafood and sausage then drove around to see the classic, old homes of the Garden District. One of the finest homes is that of famed supernatural novelist Anne Rice, who lives most of the year in a restored mansion at 1239 First Street, on the northwest corner of the intersection with Chestnut.


Her spacious, white wood house was the setting for her great book “The Witching” I had recently completed. An employee at the nearby Commanders Palace – which was credited in USA Today not long ago as the finest restaurant in the U.S. – said that Anne Rice is a regular customer. Her home is about two blocks away.


The fabulous restaurant is across the street from the old Lafayette Cemetery, a setting of several scenes in “The Witching” and a spooky old place. Its above-ground burial vaults are mainly occupied by 19th Century victims of the Yellow Fever. They were buried that way because of the high water table.


Later, we toured the interesting New Orleans Aquarium in the French Quarter, near the Mississippi River. That evening, we met Dr. Clyde Williams and his wife, Marsha, and their son Stephen Williams in our favorite restaurant anywhere – Galatoires on Bourbon Street. Clyde is a longtime friend who is an English Professor at my alma mater, Mississippi State University. After a fine but low-fat meal, Betty, Casey and I returned to the Sheraton Hotel on Canal where we spent the night.


The next day, Casey and I played golf at City Park in what I would classify as the Midtown section of New Orleans. I shot a decent score of 91 for 18 holes. Casey was frustrated at his fallow game and picked up.


That evening, we enjoyed a quite good dinner at Medina’s Restaurant on Canal. Betty had spent much of the day shopping while Casey and I played golf. She bought a beautiful evening gown at Saks Fifth Ave., thinking of the strong possibility that we would attend an inaugural ball in Washington for newly elected President Bill Clinton of Arkansas and Vice President Al Gore of Tennessee, whose barbeque team I had organized and led for his Memphis in May appearances while ihe represented Tennessee in the U.S. Senate.


The next day, December 31, Casey and I played some more golf at City Park. I shot an 87 for 18 holes but stood at 40 at the turn. We pulled out of New Orleans at 3:34 p.m. for the long drive back to Gulf Shores which took nearly 4 hours due to construction.


On January 1 and 2, Casey and I watched some holiday football games on our condo’s TV and hit some golf balls at Cotton Creek. I did some writing of my genealogy work dealing with long-gone forefathers in Massachusetts and we drove home to Memphis.


To Washington for Gala Presidential Inauguration


Jan.18-21, 1993 – To Washington, DC


Betty and I flew to Washington to participate in the inaugural activities for newly elected President Bill Clinton of Arkansas, where my company has a major Maybelline plant, and Vice President Al Gore of Tennessee, where we have our consumer operations center with major manufacturing and distribution centers in Memphis and Cleveland in East Tennessee.


We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at Crystal City, which compared unfavorably to other Hyatts where I have stayed. On the first evening we attended a $1,500-a-plate dinner. Sitting at the Schering-Plough table close to the speaker’s rostrum was the EPA Commissioner Designee Carol Browner. I was able to introduce our company president, Dave Collins, to new Tennessee Sen. Harlan Matthews, Gov. Ned McWherter and longtime political leader Jim Hall, the designee to chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board.


It was fun seeing so many political friends from Memphis at the inaugural ball set aside for Vice President Gore, who paid $3,000 for the honor of attending. Betty and I were dressed to the nines and had a great time. We got a number of framed photos and invitatations to the inaugural ball  put into special albums at our home. It was also a treat standing on the mall and watching from a distance Gore being sworn in as Vice President. I had a closer view of him and his wife, Tipper, at the ball in their honor, as well as views of Bill and Hillary Clinton. This was a great day to be from Tennessee.


We watched the inaugural parade proceed down Pennsylvania Avenue from an 8th floor vantage point in ‘former Tennessee Senator Howard Baker’s law office that overlooks the Navy Monument. Among his deep-pocket clients for important work in the nation’s capitol are Schering-Plough. It wasn’t surprising that a number of products made in Tennessee (like Goo-Goo Clusters) were served as the afternoon reception.

The next day, Betty and I visited my father’s grave in Arlington Cemetery and also the National
Gallery of Art, where we used to hang out on weekends when I was stationed at the U.S. Marine Corps Base at nearby Quantico, VA in the late 1960s. I took a certain amount of pride in coming so far since then.


Rep. Jim Cooper ‘Bristles’ When Asked TAB Question


Feb. 1, 1993 – To Nashville


I flew to Nashville on Northwest to attend a meeting of the Tennessee Busiiness Roundtable and to meet with my old pal from The Commercial Appeal Mark McNeeley, who now owns the biggest public relations firm in the state.


At the TBR meeting I heard Rep. Jim Cooper of Middle Tennessee speak. He bristled when I asked him a question about the free market versus mandatory drug vaccine pricing under a proposed government nationalization program, giving me what should have been a clue about his predisposition favoring government over pharmaceutical companies that appeared later when he ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate.


That evening, I attended a reception at the Governor’s Residence and had a chance to visit with Labor Commissioner Jimmy White of Memphis, J. W. Luna and Bill Parcell of state government, and Betty Anderson, one of the best paid lobbyists in the state who once worked for Schering-Plough.


I spent the night in the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza across the street from the Legislative Plaza in downtown Nashville.


To Washington to Dine Well, Meet With Officials


Feb. 2, 1993 – From Nashville to Washington then back to Memphis


While I Nashville I visited with my old pal Sen. Steve Cohen and also Rick Locker, who expertly covers State Government for The Commercial Appeal. I then flew on to Washington, DC on American.


I enjoyed an excellent dinner with my colleague Dick Kinney and Jim Hall, chief of staff to Tenn. Sen. Harlan Matthews, at the Powerscourt Restaurant in the Phoneix Park Hotel, which is near Union Station and is owned by Irish investors. My meal was Irish salmon and filet of sole. Later, I enjoyed some Guiness Stout at the nearby Dubliner Pub with Dick.


The next day, I visited with Craven Crowell, chief of staff to Sen. Jim Sasser, in the Russell Senate Office Building then had lunch in the House Members Dining Room as a guest of Rep. Jim Cooper. Joining us were Dick Kinney, a Staff Corporate Vice President who in charge of Schering-Plough’s Washington office, and Joe Connors, the corporation’s General Counsel and who previously had an office next door to mine in Memphis.


It was a memorable lunch, mainly because of the way Cooper rudely unloaded on the pharmaceutical industry and (to my mind) recklessly challenged Connors to get Schering-Plough and the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (a major lobbying group) to “all or nothing” support of his managed competition approach to containing health care costs.


These were difficult times for the highly profitable  pharmaceutical industry, with serious efforts underway in Washington to limit its ability to rise prices of prescription drugs. Despite my misgivings, our company’s leadership had hoped that Cooper’s plan would be less harmful to our profits than some other plans in circulation.


After a good lunch, I visited Capitol Hill and met with Tom McNamara of Rep. Don Sundquist’s staff and Rep. John Tanner of West Tennessee before flying back to Memphis on Northwest.

Again, the airline somehow had lost or misplaced my special, low-fat meal, givng me yet another irritation for an unsatisfactory outcome for the trip.


To Opryland Hotel for Sasser Fund-raiser with Betty


Feb. 12-13, 1993 – To Nashville


I drove from Memphis to Nashville with Betty in a Fleetmark rental Taurus to attend – at a price of $500 a couple paid by the Scheirng-Plough Better Government Fund upon which I serve as a director – a big fund-raiser for Tennessee Sen. Jim Sasser. It was held at the Opryland Hotel.


As is usually the case at these affairs, some politically important people were in attendance and in circulation. I visited with Sasser, whose Memphis in May Barbeque Team I had organized, Sasser’s chief of staff, former newspaperman Craven Crowell, Rep. John Tanner of West Tennessee and a number of my fellow Memphians. There were about 1,000 Sasser supporters present and good food was served as “theme stations.”


Betty and I spent the night at the elegant Opryland Hotel in a room with a queen-sized Murphy Bed. We drove home to Memphis the next day. At the time, I mistakenly thought that there wasn’t a chance that the popular and powerful Sasser could be beaten in upcoming election. But wealthy Tom Frist, whose family founded a Tennessee-based chain of hospitals, won in a surprise. As a consolation, my much-admired pal Sasser was made U.S. Ambassador to China by President Clinton and his onetime colleague in the U.S. Senate, Vice President Al Gore.


To Starkville, West Point for Board Meeting, Golf


Feb. 17-20, 1993 – To Starkville & West Point, MS


I drove a rental car from Memphis to Starkville, MS, where I stayed two nights at Mississippi State University’s Butler Guest House. I met with and spoke to English Professor Clyde Williams’ Shakespeare Class and later sent my old pal Clyde a “sun-prise” of a Coppertone beach towel and some suncare samples.


I also enjoyed an evening and a half-day’s worth of meetings with my fellow members of the Dean’s Advisory Board for the College of Arts and Sciences. While in Starkville, I played 18 holes of golf on the excellent university course with its overall boss, Bob Leiter. I shot a miserable 104.


Later, I drove over to the fabulous Old Waverly Golf Club, where I’ve been a member since 1992, at West Point. I spent the night in the club’s guest accommodations and enjoyed a great meal of banked Red Snapper with Shrimp. I played golf but only managed to shoot a 101 despite many fine shots.


Due to my desire to establish an “honest” golf handicap (which may in reality by a contradiction in terms), I played the ball “down” by the rules and took no mulligans and my score suffered because of it.


That evening I ate at the club’s Ophelia’s Place and later visited with three regional furniture executives from Indianapolis. They had heard about the quality of Old Waverly’s course and traveled to West Point to try it out.


The next day, my son Casey and his friend Jeremy Scherr drove down from Memphis to play golf at Old Waverly. Despite a light mist, we teed off at 10:30 a.m. I bailed out of play after 9 holes, with my score of 52. The two young men played on, completed 18 holes and spent the night. I left them to their pursuit and drove home in time for a great dinner of Cornish Game Hen that Betty prepared.


To Nashville for TAB Meeting, Political Dinners


March 1-3, 1993 – To Nashville


I drove to Nashville to attend the annual Tennssee Association of Business (TAB) meeting of the Board of Governors, upon which I serve. I had an excellent dinner with my old pal Mark McNeeley, who owns the largest public relations firm in the state and is a much respected political consultant.


We dined at one of the top restaurants in Nashville, which had recently lost one of its four Mobil Travel Guide stars following its “exposure” in the Nashville Scene alternative paper for serving pork in place of veal in its signature dish of “saltimboco.” I stayed at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza which is conveniently located across the street from the Legislative Plaza and is thus a popular watering hole for lobbyists with entertainment money to spend and State Legislators.


I got up early to work out in the hotel’s fitness center and weight room then attended the TAB meeting. That evening, I hosted a dinner in a private dining room at Mario’s for Tennessee Attorney General Mike Cody of Memphis, the Shelby County Legislative Delegation and members of the Government Affairs Council of the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce. I serve as chairman of the Council. Dave Cooley, president of the Chamber, attended.


I sat next to the powerful Sen. John Ford of Memphis, a longtime member of the Legislature and chair of an important committee. He told me about his possible libel suit and boycott against The Commercial Appeal. I also sat by House Speaker Pro Tempore Lois DeBerry, who surprised me by cracking a joke about her fellow legislator Tim Joyce and his protests against the fur industry. The next day I returned home to  Memphis.


To Tucson for Golf, Mexico Shopping, Desert Sights


March 4-7, 1993 – To Tucson, AZ


Betty and I took her Spring Break from teaching Culinary Arts at Northside High School in Memphis by flying to Tucson, AZ for a getaway in the warm desert. We arrived early enough to check in without delay to a big Radisson Suites, which turned out to be a great place with a huge swimming pool, weight room, free breakfast buffet and happy hour late in the day for a reasonable price of $115 a day.


We drove a rental Dodge 60 or so miles to the south to Nogales, Mexico. It was a typical border town, with a lot of dust and junk piled up. We parked on the U.S. side of the border and walked across to native shops in Mexico, where we purchased two bottles of Controy (a Mexican version of the French liquor Cointreau), five quarters of clean vanilla for Betty’s desert cooking; seven silver bracelets for Betty and gifts, and other souvenirs.


That evening we had a good swordfish dinner at the hotel. The next morning, I worked out with weights and swam 20 laps in the hotel pool. I played 18 holes of golf at the 49’er Club just outside of Tucson. I thought it was an OK course, but not great like some I’ve played in Phoenix last year. I shot a 106.


That evening, we had a good dinner in the Solarium Restaurant, which is in a building with a distinctive Western architecture.


Betty and I spent the next day seeing some of the sights around Tucson, including a quick stop at an old Western movie set where we bought some cards and souvenirs. Our best visit of the day – and the entire trip – was to the famed Desert Museum outside of town. It has an outstanding collection and wonderful displays of desert life. We especially liked the Hummingbird Aviary, which has a large number of the tiny birds representing six amazingly tame species. It was nesting season and the hummers would hover right up to us, trying to pluck loose threads from our clothes.


We then drove around the Saguaro (as in cactus plant) National Monument with its spectacular desert vistas and giant cactus. We walked several hundred yards in the dry desert to examine some 1,000-year-old Petroglyphs carved onto smallish rocks by the Pagago Indians long ago. We took some nice, panoramic photographs while there.


On the way back to our hotel, we stopped at the celebrated Mission San Javier del Bac, known locally at the “White Dove of the Desert” for unique architecture and white buildings. We learned about the veneration the native Indians continue to have for the Franciscan monks who introduced them to Jesus Christ. Still today, Indian parishioners in prayers and photos to a coverlet over an effigy of an ancient monk – whose wooden head is lifted three times a day “to make him comfortable.”


Before eating that night at the hotel, we staked out a spot on the nearby road called “The Speedway” in hopes of spotting passing “Lowrider” automobiles customized by the Mexican-American population but failed to see any because of the early hour.


The next morning, we got an early start and drove about an hour to Biosphere 2, a celebrated three-acre complex of sealed greenhouses built near Tucson. It cost $150 million to year and was used as a research project for space exploration and lived in by a half-dozen scientists in an interesting, but largely failed experiment into sustaining life in an artificial environment.


Betty and I flew home to Memphis that afternoon after our great long weekend in mid-winter.


To Old Waverly with Casey for So-so Golf, Great Day


March 21, 1993 – To Old Waverly Golf Club, West Point, MS


Casey and I drove to Old Waverly on my Taurus station wagon on a glorious, sunny spring day with the temperature in the low 70s. We happened to get paired up with a member named Andy who works at the True Temper plant in nearby Amory and another man who was a retired
Trooper and U.S. Marshall.


My golf was below average on this day. I shot a 103 off the white tees then played another 9 holes and shot a 50 off the blue tees. Casey shot a 96 and then a 49. While the golf was at best so-so, it was a great day due to the fine weather and Casey’s company.


To Washington for High-Level Government Meetings


March 25-26, 1993 – To Washington, DC


I flew from Memphis to Washington on Northwest and enjoyed dinner at the fine La Colline restaurant with U.S. Sen. Harlan Matthews of Tennessee; Harlan’s chief of staff Jim Hall of Chattanooga; Dave Collins, President of Schering-Plough HealthCare Products; and Dick Kinney, a Schering-Plough Corporate Vice President in charge of our Washington office. I stayed at the nearby, Irish-owned Phoenix Park Hotel near Union Station.


The next day I met with my pal Winston McGregor, a longtime staffer for Al Gore who is now the Vice President of the United States and works at the Democratic National Committee. We met at the Executive Office Building with Charlotte Hages, a White House staffer who is Gore’s chief health policy aid. Winston had arranged the meeting as a favor so I could voice Schering-Plough’s opinions into the right ear.


By happenstance, I had a chance to say hello to Al Gore as he was on his way into the Vice President’s Ceremonial Office in the Executive Office Building near the White House. Gore’s new office contains the former desk of President Richard Nixon that has tucked inside a drawer the ink signatures of President Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Dwight Eisenhower, Harry Truman and Vice President Dan Quayle. Inside the middle drawer of the desk and in an area under the knee hole are some pieces of Velcro tape and several holes once occupied by screws that held the infamous tape recording machine used by Nixon. His secret recordings of meetings in the White House came to light during the Watergate hearings that led to Nixon’s impeachment.


It was a huge treat for me to see so much pivotal history of the United States that had  been preserved but evidently not much publicized. The ceremonial office was nothing short of magnificent and is regular use for meetings at the highest level with federal and foreign government officials.


The meeting with Gore’s tough-minded health policy staffer, Charlotte, didn’t go very well. It was plain to me that if the staffer is really in the know about the Carter-Gore thinking, the much-maligned pharmaceutical industry is in for some tough times.


Afterward, I had a great lunch with an old pal, Ken Bacon, for whom I had worked when he was with the Wall Street Journal which I had served as the Memphis stringer. Ken was now the WSJ’s No. 2 newsman in its prestigious Washington Bureau. He went on to become a Deputy Secretary in charge of Public Affairs for the Defense Department and served as its spokesman during most of Clinton’s administration. We dined at the Metropolitan Club, a ritzy and elegant place for Washington’s elite that has a swimming pool, squash courts, a library, bedrooms for members and enforced rules that prohibit documents and corporate checks from being exchanged in the dining room.


Fairly Good Golf at Gulf Shores While Casey Studies


April 6-11, 1993 – To Gulf Shores, AL


Betty and I drove to Gulf Shores for her Easter-Spring Break from teaching Culinary Arts at Northside High School in Memphis. Our son, Casey, opted to stay home to work on his studies at Memphis University School, where he is a top student and one of the private school’s choice candidates for the great colleges and universities that are now recruiting there. While Betty and I enjoyed the beach, Casey drove to Nashville for an orientation for pre-engineering students planning on attending Vanderbilt.


Betty and I had a great time at our condo on the beach. The weather was mostly sunny during our stay although a bit cool, with high temperatures in the 60s. I spent some time as usual at my favorite golf course there, in the State Park a few miles from our condo. I shot a 94 at the Park, followed by a 90 at the semi-private Gulf Shores Golf Club then by a 95 back at the Park course.


We are out at Gulf Shores restaurants a lot and did a goodly amount of shopping at the nearby, 120-store factory outlet mall in Foley. I got a little suntan from spending time on the beach, but it didn’t seem to be much color in relationship to the time I spent in the sun.


To New Jersey to Plan Grassroots for S-P Employees


April 12-13, 1993 – To Madison,  Kenilworth and Liberty Corner, NJ


I flew to Newark, N.J. on Northwest and rented a car at the airport to drive to the corporate headquarters of Schering-Plough at Madison and the next day to nearby Kenilworth, N.J., headquarters of Pharmaceutical Operations and the largest employee numbers site in the company.


At Madison I met with Joe Roth, the recently hired Director of Community Affairs for the corporation, to discuss plans for mounting a grassroots program throughout the corporation to voice our employee feelings over proposed drug price control legislation. It was part of the combatative stance being taken by the Pharmacaeutical Manufacturers Associaiton, which our company President, Dick Kogan, as the chief volunteer executive.


I drove to nearby Kenilworth the next day for a meeting with Joe, the Human Services Execcutive Committee (upon which my boss, Bob Raub, serves as the sitting Senior Vice President for the HealthCare Products division), Bob Lively of Schering-Plough’s Washington office and others. We discussed the plans for involving as many Schering-Plough employees as feasible in our coming grassroots initiative to support our President and the PMA member companies in the fight against government price controls. This was plainly serious work.


Hanging over our head was a May 3 deadline to make our newly developing grassroots initiative effective in contacting Members of the U.S. Congress with thought-out opinions of their constituents who happened to be employees of our corporation.


My HealthCare Products division is coming into the grassroots program a little later than some divisions and companies in our industry, but with the employee esprit de corps and our long history of political involvement and building positive relationships with government, I feel confident that HealthCare Products will deliver the best grassroots program in Schering-Plough. (In fact, my early confidence turned out to be correct despite difficulty in winning U.S. Sen. Jim Sasser of Tennessee to our side.)


Takiing on our division’s government affairs responsibilities and sharing some of those responsibilities with my counterparts at corporate headquarters has been both a challenge and a huge satisfaction for me. Of course, the appreciation and praise for that work from the division s management – specifically from Lee Jenkins until his early retirement as CEO of Consumer Operations and then Dave Collins as President of HealthCare Products – was a driver. My service as chairman of the Government Affairs Review Committee of the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce for five years and Chairman of the Chamber’s Government Affairs Council for several years gave me a highly visible platform as the business community’s voice.


Most importantly, I was able with the help of almost unlimited company reputation and resources to build on my ccmpany’s long tradition of helpful (but never over-reaching) interest in good government through personal contacts with public servants and making available various samples of our products to important meetings and events. My service on the Schering-Plough’s Political Action Committee and authority to dispense a limited amount of political campaign contributions gave me additional throw-weight.


I soon learned after joining the company that a private study commissioned by Holiday Inns, Inc. had found that Plough, Inc. was viewed by the public as one of the most involved and well-regarded companies in Memphis. Much of that good PR went back to the decades of leadership of company founder Abe Plough, the most generous philanthropist in the city’s history. Much of his work was done on behalf of the Zoo and countless civic improvements and ongoing projects were paid for by the company and its foundation in the name of Mr. Anonymous, which was synonymous with Mr. Plough.


I was in charge of making our official, corporate remembrance of Mr. Plough following his death work to everybody’s benefit. Called “Abe Plough Days,” it gave all fulltime employees in Memphis a free day off to volunteer their labor to benefit several dozen charities, public schools and related organizations affiliated with United Way. We were given a national award for the program, which drew about a tenth of work force into volunteer work that was much recognized.


In short, the Plough name was golden in Memphis and I took it upon myself to burnish it while trying to do good work in the name of the company and not in my own name. One of Mr. Plough’s kinsmen had made it an annual practice to visit Washington, DC on swearing-in day for Members of the U.S. Congress and I tried to follow that example. Being there was important. I also learned to never try to upstage office holders.


After meeting with my counterparts at corporate headquarters, I drove to nearby Liberty Corner to make the meet-and-greet rounds with my fellow department heads and key managers at HealthCare Products headquarters. I had lunch with my boss, Bob Raub, and spent a little time with employee Laura Brady.


To Atlanta with Casey for Golf, Tour of Georgia Tech


April 16-19. 1993 – To Atlanta


I drove my Taurus station wagon to Atlanta with my son Casey after I learned that Hertz would not provide me with a place to park if I rented a car from their branch on the edge of the Memphis airport. We pulled out of Memphis at 3:30 p.m. and arrived at 11:30 p.m. We stayed at a Holiday Inn just off Interstate 75 in the Midtown part of the city.


We played golf the next morning at the nearby Bobby Jones course and happened to get paired with two chemical engineers who worked for a paper company. One of them commented to Casey after learning he wanted to major in engineering that the college coursework could be hard, particularly in mathematics. But that in reality it had little impact on their day to day work. I played pretty well, shooting an 88. Casey was off his game and shot a 98.


The next day we played 9 holes at the Browns Mill course on the outskirts of Atlanta. I shot a 43 and Casey a 44. Then we took a tour of downtown Atlanta and saw the birthplace of Martin Luther King Jr. and his famed Ebenezer Baptist Church and the headquarters of the epochal headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. We visited the tomb where Dr. King is buried and the adjacent education center on Auburn Street. We also saw the fabulous Cyclorama and its renowned show on the Civil War, the elegant Swan House and other swanky homes off Atlanta’s Northside.


That evening, Casey attended an Atlanta Hawks-Charlotte team NBA basketball game with Michael Taylor, a student there. I treated them to the game but didn’t go. Casey spent the night in a dorm room at Georgia Tech with student Brian Fain of Georgia as part of the “connect with Tech” program put on by the university as a recruiting tool.


I played golf again at the Bobby Jones course, shooting a 96 off the blue tees, while Casey got a campus tour from his dormitory host. I picked him up later and he said, in a phrase I’ll always remember, “I hate this place.” He had already decided that despite my pledge to make school there fun for him by providing him with tickets to various sporting events in Atlanta, he wanted to enter college at Vanderbilt. (In fact we paid some of the early fees and Casey worked out a dorm rooming arrangement with a Memphis pal who had also been accepted. However, he got a “late acceptance” to the University of Virginia and decided that was where he really wanted to take the next big step into adult life. Betty and I went along with him even though it meant us paying some pretty hefty out-of-state tuition and living expenses for his four years at UVA.)


‘Political Guru’ Meets with Liberty Corner Employees


April 20-21, 1993 – To Liberty Corner, NJ


I flew from Memphis to Newark, NJ on Northwest then drove a rental car to the Madison Hotel in Madison, NJ where I spent the night. I spent most of the next day in nearby Liberty Corner with Dick Kinney and Joe Roth of Schering-Plough corporate government relations in nearby headquarters at Madison, and Dave Collins, President of my Schering-Plough HealthCare Products division of Schering-Plough.


We met with the more than 100 employees who worked at the Liberty Corner divisional headquarters for HCP to promote their participation in a corporation-wide Grassroots program formed by the pharmaceutical industry in opposition to a growing movement in the Congress favoring Rx prescription drug price controls.


In introducing me to assembled Liberty Corner employees, Dave was most generous in describing me as HCP’s “political guru” who “knows everybody in Washington and Tennessee.” I spoke to the employees and largely because of the work of my Communications and Community Affairs staff in Liberty Corner, with the unflinching support of Dave and my boss Bob Raub (with whom I had lunch), the Liberty Corner contingent of the Schering-Plough workforce had one of the highest rates of Grassroots participation in the entire company. Many wrote letters to designated Members of Congress and used suggested wordings to register their feelings on the anti-drug industry proposals, which ultimately failed.


Grassroots Advocacy Building Continues in Cleveland


April 22-23, 1993 – To Cleveland, TN


I flew from Memphis to Cleveland, TN in a chartered LearJet with Ed Manic, Senior Vice President of HealthCare Products Operations of Schering-Plough, HCP Finance Director Phil Freeman and Joe Roth, Corporate Director of Community Affairs for Schering-Plough to recruit our Dr. Scholl’s plant employees to our company-wide political Grassroots efforts. We had a nice dinner at the Cleveland Country Club overlooking its gorgeous golf course in the East Tennessee mountains.


The next morning, we met with several hundred of the Cleveland plant’s employees to invite their voluntary participation in our Grassroots program. I was surprised to see some emotional obtacles to that participation among our low-skilled production employees. Their reluctance was echoed in subsequent meetings with hourly production workers in Memphis. We hadn’t foreseen resistance to our corporate attempt to peddle influence among some of those employees after our meetings with various groups of managers and professional employees.


Opposing government price controls seemed like a good idea to most of the management group. But certain employees who felt the Company was already squeezing them felt like our invitation to join the letter-writing campaign to Members of Congress was asking too much. We nonetheless produced the best overall response throughout Schering-Plough but learned we needed to do a better job of communicating the benefits of a united response to government in times of political necessity.



Kicking Back in Austin, TX along Colorado River


April 24-25, 1993 – To Austin, TX


Betty and I used our Frequent Flyer free tickets in Northwest to fly from Memphis to Austin, TX for a long weekend. Thanks to my points built up from staying at Hyatt Regency hotels in Nashville and Washington, we were able to stay for free at the Austin’s Hyatt on the Town Lake section of the Colorado River through town.


We enjoyed a great view of the Austin skyline in the luxury hotel. The river that flowed by was slow-moving here and dotted with rental canoes and rowboats obtained at the hotel desk. Former President LBJ’s wife, Lady Bird Johnson, had led a drive to beautify the riverfront  area.


There was a beautiful, tree-lined gravel walking and cycling trail along the river that was on the bank opposite us that was 8.3 miles long. The trail was dotted with gazebos, park benches, fountains and ponds where ducks congregate. It was obvious it was well used by lovers of nature and those who enjoy walking and cycling.


We checked out bicycles at the hotel and rode on the trail for 45 minutes. On this day the Colorado River was fairly clear and we saw many turtles swimming among the sculling boats and canoes.


We drove our rental car 20-to-25 miles into the Texas Hill Country and visited the Slaughter-Leftwich Winery. It is a small wine producer, with an output of about 20,000 cases a year. We toured its facilities and enjoyed tasting its wines. We purchased a bottle of Austin Blush wine and later had a fairly good seafood dinner at the Pelican Restaurant near our hotel.


The only disappointment we had in Austin was our visit to the newspaper-promoted Austin Onion Festival, where we found only three or four vendors selling the region’s 1015-Y strain of white onions that claimed to be sweet (but were not).  There couldn’t have been more than one or two dozen tourists like us among the thin crowd. A three-piece band played country music, indicating that at least the news about the festival’s timing was accurate.


Our pleasure in Austin was renewed with our visit to the LBJ Library and Museum at the University of Texas campus. He remains the President I most admire (my later reading of parts of a series of a prize-winning biography made me re-think my admiration given the rotten way he treated his wife and subordinates). The Library has a re-created Oval Office from the White House original where he spent much of his time. Also interesting was a display of the great many gifts to him and the U.S. presented by visiting dignitaries from other nations.


Later, Betty and I sunned at the Hyatt swimming pool and enjoyed the best chicken fajitas we’ve ever had in a hotel lobby restaurant. Afterwards, we flew back to Memphis with upgrades to First Class seats on the Northwest airplane we got for only $98. It was a nice getaway.


Still Pushing Grassroots Efforts in New Jersey


April 28-29, 1993 – To Madison, Kenilworth and Liberty Corner, NJ


I flew from Memphis to Newark, NJ on Northwest for a series of meetings at Schering-Plough facilities in Schering-Plough corporate headquarters in Madison, Pharmaceutical Operations headquarters in Kenilworth and HealthCare Products headquarters in Liberty Corner. I stayed at the Madison Hotel, where I had a good session on the weights in the Fitness Room.


At Madison, I saw and met with Gerry Foster, Vice President of Investor Relations; Allan Kushen, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs; Linn Weiss, Vice President of Communications; Joe Roth, Director of Community Affairs; Dick Kinney, Vice President of Community Affairs and in charge of corporate lobbying; and Claudia Robinson, my former subordinate in Memphis who had been promoted to Linn’s staff in Madison.


In Kenilworth I met with Dick Kinney; Harvey Weintraub, Vice President of Pharmaceutical Sales; Bob Myer; Linda Pacotti, Manager of Community Relations; and others.


In Liberty Corner I met with Russ Elliot, Vice President of Advertising for HCP; Robert Maxwell, Director of the Art Department; Tina Antico of my Communications staff; and Kathy Jones, executive secretary to Dave Collins, HCP President.


At these meetings we mainly discussed the progress we were making with our division-wide and company-wide Grassroots efforts to  slow down moves in Congress that were moving toward federal price controls on prescription drugs. Our corporate CEO, Dick Kogan, was the top officer of the industry-wide logging efforts underway by the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association.


We in HeatlhCare Products were leading our company’s efforts, with much thanks due to a long tradition of government influence and reputation for being a concerned, quality employer and provider of health products as well as an enlightened member of the business community. The wear-and-tear on me from grinding that whetstone the past few weeks was taking its toll.  I was physically tired from all the travel and reflected that air travel that was once a pleasure has become exhausting because of the delays and hassles.


To Kenilworth for Annual Stock Analysts Presentation


May 3-4, 1993 – To Kenilworth, NJ


I flew from Memphis to Newark NJ on Northwest Airline and drove a rental car to Kenilworth, NJ to help top corporate management prepare for their annual presentation of Schering-Plough’s performance and outlook for the future. I stayed at a dumpy Holiday Inn not far from the gates to the company’s Pharmaceutical Operations there.


With help from several fellow employees and a consulting firm we use to store and ship our portable in-store displays of Schering-Plough HealthCare Products such as Coppertone, Dr. Scholl’s and OTC medicines, I loaded product onto the displays we set up in our company’s Drug Discovery Facility until everything was in place and looked perfectly set by 9:30 p.m.


I was present for the 7:30 a.m. meeting in an adjacent auditorium to our displays the next morning. This was the first year since I joined the company in 1984 that my division was not a featured part of the presentation program, an indication of the reduced importance of consumer products in Schering-Plough’s operations. Our share of sales results had dwindled from about 45 percent in 1984 to 20 percent in 1992.


Still, our displays looked great and we got a lot of attention from the several dozens of stock analysts and big fund portfolio managers who were bused in to Kenilworth from Manhattan for the event. We got a lot of attention from our guests, who were given a goodly amount of free samples and optimistic commentary by me and my associates staffing the display booths. I enjoyed a plate of the great lunch served the analysts, whom we would write positive reports about our stock and invest their clients’ money in Schering-Plough.


I then drove to Liberty Corner, NJ, to check on our Grassroots letter-writing encouragement campaign among employees before returning my rental car at the Newark airport and flying back home to Memphis. The airplane was late – again.


To Old Waverly for Golf with Casey, Flop Shot Lesson


May 18, 1993 – To Old Waverly Golf Club, West Point, MS


I drove to Old Waverly with Casey and his friend Jim Alexander on a beautiful day. I shot a 98 on the first 18 holes we played, followed by a 48 on the front 9 of the course. Casey shot a 93 and went all the way around again with an 89. His buddy shot in the low 80s.


I only played the front half of the course the second time to give me the time to take a much-needed lesson in “flop shot” execution by assistant pro John Hooker. My short game approach to greens was in need of the technique of using a “flop shot” to gentle drop the ball with minimum roll. My approach shots frequently just miss the target greens, leaving me with the need for short shots to get close enough to the hole to take only one putt.


After my lesson and some practice, I drove back home at arrived at 8:15 p.m. The boys stayed over at a nearby Days Inn so they could play more golf the next day.  It was a good day for everybody.


Back to Old Waverly with Don Holmes, Curtis & Son


May 24, 1993 – To Old Waverly Golf Club, West Point, MS


I drove from Memphis to Old Waverly with Betty’s colleague at Northside High School Don Holmes, a great golfer who has won the Memphis Publinx Golf Tournament twice. With us were my good friend Curtis Downs and his son, Brad, who work together at the thriving profit enhancement firm Curtis founded, Strategic Resource Management.


I shot a 102 then was only 3 shots over par after playing 6 holes on the front 9 again. Don was 3 under after shooting a 79 on our first 18-holes around the course. I had actually birdied hole No. 6, a rarity. As if to underscore the rarity, a big thunderstorm came up and halted our play. Of note, we witnessed Don’s 255-yard drive on hole No. 5, with that alone making for a good day. We drove home in the evening.


To Cleveland to Host Rep. Don Sundquist Tour


May 31-June 1, 1993 – To Cleveland, TN


I flew from Memphis to Cleveland, TN in a chartered jet with Ed McMcManic, Senior Vice President for Operations of Schering-Plough HealthCare Products Operations; John Addison, Vice President of Quality Control for our plants in Cleveland and Memphis; and Mary Gordon Kerr of my Memphis Communications staff. We stayed at the Holiday Inn North in Cleveland, near a lighted golf range where I hit some balls until 10 p.m.


I had a late dinner at a nearby Shoney’s and went to bed at midnight, a late hour for me in these busy times.


I was up early to get to our Dr. Scholl’s manufacturing plant in Cleveland and help host a visit to the facility by our good friend, Rep. Don Sundquist who represents part of Memphis and much of West Tennessee in the U.S. Congress. Don is running for Governor of Tennesee and we are providing lhim a venue to speak at a lunch of about 20 area plant managers associated with companies that are members of Cleveland Associated Industries.


Later, I went to Cleveland’s Rolling Hills Golf Club, where a shot a dismal 66 on 9 holes of the hilly course before flying home that evening, very tired.


To Washington for Chamber Briefings, S-P Barbeque


June 8-10, 1993 – To Washington, DC


I flew from Memphis to Washington on a chartered Northwest flight with leaders of the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce for a series of meetings and briefings by our Congressional officials and White House leaders.


Among those on the trip were Shelby County Mayor Bill Morris and a about 30 of our city’s business leaders with government affairs interest or responsibilities. I am honored to serve as chairman of the Chamber’s Government Affairs Council and had a hand in planning our trip. We stayed at the Embassy Suites under a special price negotiated between its parent, Holiday Inns, and the Chamber.


That evening, I helped host a Schering-Plough barbeque reception attended by about 120 invited guests who included Tennessee Sen. Harlan Matthews, his chief of staff Jim Hall and legislative aid Estie Harris (college roomie of my subordinate Melissa Faber), and Tennessee Reps. in the Congress Harold Ford, John Tanner, Don Sundquist, Bob Clement; and many Hill staffers with dealings with our Company.


After the reception, I repaired to the Dubliner Pub with Dick Kinney, a corporate Vice President in charge of our Washington lobbying office, and former Memphis Chamber president and cotton man B. Lee Mallory. I broke off from the Chamber trip a day early to return to Memphis and prepare for my coming vacation in Hawaii with my wife, Betty.


Casey’s Account of Family Trip to Kauai, Hawaii


(Following is a short essay written by Casey Nolan, then 18 and fresh from high school graduation at Memphis University School (MUS) about his trip with parents Lewis and Betty Nolan to Hawaii and California in June, 1993. For a fuller account of the trip see the Kauai travelogue at, which includes commentary by both Lewis and Betty about their stays and experiences in several locations. Album of 19 trip photos at (Scroll down to see small pictures with limited caption information or double click “Slideshow” at top left to see larger pictures with full caption info once captions are activated on screen instructions.)



June 17, 1993 – In Kauai, Hawaii


I have enjoyed being in Kauai on vacation this week. Playing golf, sightseeing and swimming have been very relaxing. I feel that I could fit into the laid-back atmosphere found in Hanalai, a beach community on the island. I see no reason to go into detail about our daily activities since Mom and Dad have no doubt taken care of it.


Compared to our other exotic vacations, I would have to say the scenery here is far above that of Cancun, Mexico, and other islands. The beach itself is inferior to the one at Gulf Shores, AL. The snorkeling here has been fair. The golf at the Kiele Course has been in my opinion the best. I think it was the prettiest and the hardest course I have ever played.


I have also enjoyed being away from Memphis and my friends. It’s nice not having the phone ring. I would say this has been the most relaxing vacation ever for me. I think it’s time for me to dig back into my book, “The Pelican Brief” by John Grisham. Peace.


To New York to Plan Fight 3rd Drug Class Proposal

June 25, 1993 – To New York City


I flew from Memphis to New York’s LaGuardia Airport on Northwest, leaving on an 8:20 a.m. flight. I met with the Public Affairs Committee of the Non-prescription Drug Manufacturers Association at Bristol-Myers-Squibb’s luxury suite of offices in a Manhattan skyscraper.


The representatives of the major companies with OTC product lines mapped our plan to build an industry alliance to fight an emerging proposal in Congress to regulate a so-called “Third Class” of drugs. Those drugs would be somewhere in between the closely regulated prescription drugs and the loosely regulated Over-The-Counter medications like aspirin and cold symptom relief products which are freely sold at retail in the U.S. As one of the leading OTC manufacturers in the U.S., with Correctol laxatives, St. Joseph aspirins and Tinactin athlete’s foot products, Schering-Plough HealthCare Products had a keen interest in defeating the advent of the so-called Third Class of government controls by regulation.


Unusual for my trips to New York, I missed lunch altogether because of the length of the meeting and my need to be back at LaGuardia for a 6 p.m. flight to Memphis. Unfortunately, the flight was delayed for 1 ½ hours because of a repair to an airplane computer. I ate a few snacks at the airport and finally got home OK - but exhausted and hungry.